Hi! I’m Nancy Konopinsky, COO at Canada Learning Code. I have been with CLC for almost 3 years, though my relationship with the org started in 2012 when my daughter attended the first-ever Girls Learning Code camp! CLC is Canada's leading national charity championing digital literacy education and has evolved since it was originally founded as Ladies Learning Code in 2011. We place a special emphasis on women, transgender and beyond binary adults and youth, low socio-economic status learners, newcomer learners, learners with physical disabilities and French-speaking learners in Canada.
We are looking for a mission-driven, experienced inclusive leader to join our team as Director of Brand Strategy on a full-time salaried basis. As our Director of Brand Strategy, you will be overseeing all of CLC’s brands and programs (the CLC umbrella brand: Ladies Learning Code, Girls Learning Code, Kids Learning Code, Teens Learning Code & Teachers Learning Code), as well as all marketing strategies and executions.
You will report to me, Nancy, and work in conjunction with the Senior Leadership Team to develop and implement strategies and tactics to deliver meaningful learning experiences. You will have four individuals on your team, including two Program Managers, a Marketing Manager plus a Marketing Coordinator (who reports into the Marketing Manager).
Even through the pandemic, we have remained focused on our mission. Today, we are delivering live-online learning experiences across the country for adults, youth and educators. To date, Canada Learning Code has reached over 775,000 learners through an in-person experience.
Do your values and goals align with our mission? We want to hear from you!
What Success Looks Like for this role
- CLC holds its position as a leader in computer science education that is relevant to the diverse and unique needs of Canada.
- Our value proposition is clearly articulated, relevant and promoted to each of our numerous audiences and communities
- Our delivery channels are supported with the tools, knowledge, strategic programming and associated marketing to successfully deliver high quality learning experiences that are in line with our program standards.
- We have an engaged and empowered Brand Strategy team who is aligned to our mission, vision and values
What Your Key Responsibilities Are
- Lead the brand strategy, marketing, and program management functions and ensure efforts are aligned with CLC’s mission, vision, and strategic priorities
- Brand strategy: evaluate CLC’s and each sub-brand’s value proposition and key health indicators in the tech education market
- Program management: define success for each of our programs, to ensure that our programs help us attain our organization’s goals. Create and update program strategy documents that act as reference to support teams responsible for designing and delivering experiences.
- Marketing: develop strategies and implement tactics to build awareness of and engagement with our brands, programs, and experiences
- Represent Brand Strategy on the Senior Leadership Team and provide thought leadership on those functions
- Lead and motivate a highly effective and efficient team that analyzes target markets, personas to develop programming and messaging with learners at the centre.
- Ensure brand and marketing efforts are aligned with CLC’s mission, vision & values
What Your Day-to-Day Looks Like
While no two days look the same, the following is what you can expect to work on in this role.
Strategy & Planning
- Collaborating with the Senior Leadership Team on supporting CLC’s goals, strategies, tactics, and decision making through research and leveraging relationships and opportunities.
- Managing budgets and providing oversight on budget lines within your team.
Marketing & Brand Strategy
- Leading the development of long-term strategies and the implementation of an integrated marketing plan, including research and analysis of insights, audience specific strategies and integrated channel planning and execution.
- Developing a deep understanding of our learnings and their learning ecosystems, industry trends and best practices.
- Running research and strategy projects for competitive analysis.
- Developing a consistent external marketing message for the internal team and external communications across integrated channels.
- Providing your team ongoing and clear direction for their performance and career development.
- Ensuring the team members have the resources, tools and information needed to be successful.
- Leading team communication and providing one-on-one coaching.
Program Management and Evaluation
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the programs and projects, making recommendations to optimize when needed.
- Ensuring that the focus, direction, and the work that the team produces is supported by principles to ensure that critical success factors and risks are identified and proactively managed.
The most successful Director of Brand Strategy will possess strong leadership skills and the ability to lead and motivate a team. They are excellent collaborators who understand the importance of working cohesively with other teams in order to reach team and organizational goals, and can model this behaviour impeccably.You have proven experience in building and implementing brand, marketing and programming strategies.
- You have working experience in building and implementing brand, marketing, and programming strategies
- You have working experience in leading people and multiple connected teams, and can manage up, coach, and team-build.
- You can demonstrate your knowedge of brand strategy & marketing principles; marketing channels, tools, and tactics; and collaboration tools such as Zoom and Slack.
- You are skilled at managing relationships; communicating and presenting; problem-solving and innovating; leading change; and collaborating with stakeholders and vendors.
- Working experience at SMBs on both agency and client sides will be considered an asset.
- Official bilingualism (English and French) will also be considered an asset.
- This role may require some evening and weekend work. Some travel may be required if/when safe to do so.
We are a remote-first organization with Team Members located across Canada. Our physical office is in Toronto (near Queen and University). Team members located in or visiting the Toronto area have the option to access or work from the office in accordance with our COVID-19 policies.
Why Join Our Team?
We’re doing something big and we have huge goals. Canada Learning Code is a place where you will be surrounded and supported by some amazing people who are light on ego, high on curiosity, and flat out want to make a difference. We are always looking for talented individuals who bring strong skill sets that complement and add to our existing teams along with innovative thinking, team attitude and an ability to show results.
$100,000 to $115,000 annually + the following benefits:
- Being a part of a growing team that is changing the computer science education industry in a big way
- 20 days of vacation annually plus shut down during December (usually one week) for some rest and recharge time
- Up to 10 Personal Leave days per calendar year that can be used as floater holidays for religious and traditional practices that don't match the standard holiday schedule or whatever else you might need
- Group benefits including medical, dental, EAP, and Inkblot
- Pregnancy & Parental Leave Top Up Program
- Professional development and the opportunity to participate in part-time courses and workshops for free
Step 1: Video call with a member of the Bloom team (we've partnered up with them for this role)
Step 2: Meeting with Hiring Manager
Step 3: Technical interview with cross-functional team members
Step 4: Reference Check & Criminal Background Check
Step 5: Offer
Our Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging
Canada Learning Code is committed to building a transparent environment where everyone feels heard, welcomed and included. We believe Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging are fundamental in our vision to harness the power of technology to create a better and more inclusive future. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, Black people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Our Commitment to Accessibility
Canada Learning Code is committed to developing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment process and work environment. Should you require any accommodation, please inform us and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any accessibility-related assistance, requests for information in accessible alternative formats or to report any accessibility problems, please contact us at people(@)canadalearningcode(dot)ca
$100,000.00 - $115,000.00